1 oz Gold Buffalo $50 .9999 pure U.S. Gold
The only gold coin for sale from the United States Mint on an annual basis to feature 24-karat gold content is the beloved, beautiful American Gold Buffalo. Introduced in 2006, it was the first coin in the history of the US Mint to feature 24-karat gold and remains the only one of its kind that is struck every year.
- 16th coin in the American Gold Buffalo Series!
- Contains 1 Troy oz of .9999 pure gold in BU condition.
- The face value of $50 (USD) is fully backed by the US government.
- On the obverse is a portrait of an indigenous tribal figure.
- The reverse depicts an American bison.
American gold coins had never been struck at a purity level beyond 22-karat gold prior to the release of the American Gold Buffalo. From 1794 to 1834, the US Mint issued the so-called Crown gold alloy of 22-karat gold with coins feature .9167 gold content and a mixture of all silver, all copper, or both to complete the metallic content of the coins. When the American Gold Eagle entered production in 1986, it featured 22-karat gold with 5.33% copper and 3% silver. The American Gold Buffalo was the first coin in the history of the mint with 99.99% pure gold.